Hello there! Happy New Month! If you know me, you probably know by now that I am a hoarder when it comes to clothes. I just love good clothes. As a result, I get asked where I shop for my clothes so many times and my answer is and will always be the same- anywhere and everywhere. Well, truth is we don’t always have money to shop high end all the time and once in a while you probably just want to try get something that everyone else does not have- that is where thrift shopping comes in handy. It is not always an assurance that you will get what you are looking for, but I am sure you won’t miss something to take home with you.
I know shopping is often tedious especially for us- guys, it gets worse when it comes to thrift shopping. However, I have decided to give the top ten tips I use when going thrift shopping to help make it easier to find the best there is and at the best price. Here we go:
1. Know what you want- This will help you save a lot of time, energy and money. It helps to have an idea of what you are looking for to avoid impulse buying and save time which you would otherwise waste trying to decide what you want and what you do not want when shopping.
2. Ask- Ask the stall attendant if they have what you are looking for and where they have been placed in the stall. This makes it easier to scheme through what they have in stock and pick what you want.
3. Be patient- Do not be in a rush to just buy and go. You will probably miss that article you have been dying to find if you rush through and leave.
4. Be Keen- Look out for any defects that could potentially ruin what you are aiming at buying. You really do not want to worry about going back to swap the article the next day.
5. Fit First- Fit is everything. I’d rather you buy something that fits than buy something with the tailor in mind. Plus, adjustments are not always as perfect as something that fits right- especially for blazers and suit jackets. Moreover, at times, adjusting could cost you a little too much.
6. Be Decisive- As much as you are to be keen and patient, be quick to choose what you like and set them aside because you are probably not the only one shopping there. Remember, they don’t stock in different sizes.
7. Develop an eye for the unique- As much as thrift stores stock clothes that are not identical, be on the look out for those that not only tickle your fancy, but also stand out.
8. Compromise- You won’t always find what you want, but be willing to settle for alternatives that are equally as good. NB. I AM NOT saying you should lower standards, find alternatives. For example, if you were aiming at getting a tartan jacket and you do not find one, you could settle for a plaid jacket instead.
9. Bargain- That’s why it’s a thrift store!
10. Buy- Buy your favorite picks and get them laundered!
I hope that helps and makes things easier the next time you go thrift shopping!
Remember, DRESS THE PART,LOOK THE PART AND BE THE PART!
Liked it? Let me know what you think in the comments section below and share with a friend!
Thanks for stopping by!